Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Progressing....Day by Day

Yesterday I delivered a thank you card to the BMT unit.  My time there was brutal but without the tremendous treatment I received from the wonderful doctors, nurses, aides, etc. in the the unit, it would have been disastrous.  There is still a chance I may have to spend some time back in the unit but I'm progressing as if the next time I see anyone from there is at the annual reunion party they have for transplant patients at Stanford.

I am doing well. My numbers continue to soar! My last reading showed my white blood cells and platelets approaching normal levels. I am no longer hooked up to any type of iv. I started to do light exercises today and can walk longer distances now.  However, I am still taking a bunch of medications.  Most of these meds are taken to help me fight infections.  I am very susceptible to host versus graft (my body fights the transplant/brother's cells) disease at this stage thus every Monday, Wednesday, Friday I am at the outpatient unit having my blood checked and getting tinkered with.  Its a very basic life right now but if I work hard and do what the doctors ask I get my whole life to live. Thats exciting.  Hopefully, in a few weeks I'm back home.

7 comments:

  1. Inspiring my man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! It's your birthday! It's your birthday!
    Surprise coming to your new H.O.M.E address very soon!! lol

    Gloria Marsh, DMH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Jess!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess,
    You are doing great! Thanks for staying strong and inspiring. Hopefully we'll see you sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handsome Jess, I have the perfect tattoo for your new look! It's awesome! Have a great day! Gloria Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jess I am just catching up after being on Vacation, it is great to read such good news! Your attitude is really an inspiration. If you are looking for more mental escapes check out some of the new pics on my web site. www.yougetthepictureshop.com. I am still adding them from Oregon, Washington, and Victoria. Very beautiful places. Wendy

    ReplyDelete