Sunday, May 9, 2010

Weekend in Hell-ville

This weekend has proven to be pretty awful.  My mouth and throat have continued to deteriorate and started bleeding today.  I also have recurrent nose bleeds.  I've been given platelet transfusions to control it.  My symptoms remain as before.   I still feel terrible and have about another two days to go before my blood counts start going up and the mucositis ebbs.

Thankfully my pain is, for the most part, controlled by fentanyl, which is now on a continuous drip in addition to my push button when I need a little extra relief.  I'm miserable, but this is a "normal" part of the bone marrow transplantation process.

I was so happy to get a delivery of a bunch of beautiful get-well cards from my friends and colleagues today.   Such kind words of support brought a smile to my face.  It was such a nice way to end my weekend and very much appreciated.



A nod to Linda for the Che pin from Cuba.  I'll keep on this battle as old Che did, but with better results!


Hasta la victoria, Siempre!!  Until victory, Always!!

5 comments:

  1. Jess sorry this weekend was so rough. Time for another excursion in the mind don't you think. How bout the mountains this time? The air is so clean and crisp. Its a little chilly but the down jacket and the gloves and hat are keeping you snuggly. Do you see that mountain goat over there on that tiny little ledge. It looks like it will need to be airlifted to safety but amazingly it just scampers up that cliff like spider man. It is so nice to see the clean snow up here. None of that dirty stuff on the side of the road. Yoddeling always seemed like a bit of a weird practice but up here you just can't help yourself. I can yell out all of my pain and frustration and it just seems different, less and lighter when the echo comes back to me. The lungs are starting to ache a little from all the cold air. Time to sit my butt down on this metal disk and slide back down. What a rush with the scenery flying by. OMG look at that black bear and her cub looking out at me, you can just picture the momma bear telling her cub that my dear was one of those crazy humans. Watch out for them they are very unpredictable. Safely back to the lodge. I can't wait to sit in front of the fire place and drink that nice soothing hot chocolate. Look at those mini marshmellows bobbing up and down.

    Remember in your mind you can be wherever you want to be. Enjoy the trip. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fighter! Keep battling, I am thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing a good job hanging in there. Relief is near. Hasta la victoria, SIEMPRE. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last word on Che -- Che was more than the results -- he lived his life a certain way and took those chances -- his spirit, determination, willingness to fight and pursue, his desire for change all made him what he is and that is always exemplary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, Jess! Thanks for staying strong!

    ReplyDelete